The Malta Powerlifting Association was formed in April 2007, back then forming part of the MDFPA. Since then, the association has grown over the years and in January 2020, the MPL became associated with the EPF and the IPF. You can find the members of the committee over here. The goals of MPL are:
- Growing, promoting, and governing the sports of powerlifting in Malta at all levels
- Organizing local and international events based on integrity, sportsmanship, and safety
- Providing education and training opportunities for powerlifting coaches and officials to improve the quality of the sport.
- Building relationships with other organizations and stakeholders in the powerlifting community, such as gyms, and trainers to promote collaboration and cooperation.
- Representing the interests of the powerlifting community to national sports governing bodies
- Developing a drug-free sport culture by promoting a drug-free sport, testing and education according to the WADA Code and the standards set by the IPF.
In 2022, there was just under 40 IPF registered athletes with over 80% competing at least twice a year. We have also seen new record numbers in the open competition where new joiners to the sports can experience a meet in a more informal manner.
If you want to read more about powerlifting, please visit this section of the site for information about the lifts, equipment, gyms, coaches and more!